Dr. Aaron VanGaver is a Naturopathic Doctor working with addicted people in downtown Vancouver, BC. He treats many of the people that we would classify as "classic addicts", but Aaron himself is also a living breathing example that addiction affects every population, even doctors.
Aaron has his own story of losing connection with himself, finding drugs as a solution, and then finding recovery and reconnection through a series of divine events. He now works exclusively with addicts in early recovery. He is a doctor working with the body, but also a counsellor, and a coach.
Aaron uses IV drips, vitamins, and amino acids to help the detoxification process. This can also can treat the post-acute-withdrawal symptoms, depression, and anhedonia that can accompany early recovery.
The biggest gift Aaron carries is the counselling he offers around shame, trauma, self-esteem, and most importantly, working with people on identifying their life's purpose. This unconventional approach gives his clients something to live for.
"I truly believe everyone has got a gift to give the world." -Dr. VanGaver
Aaron is on a mission to change how people talk about and understand addiction. He wants to reduce the stigma about addiction in our culture.
In this episode we cover:
- Aaron's story of addiction and recovery
- HALT protocol - Hungry Angry Lonely Tired
- IV Vitamin Therapy
- Advanced IV Protocols for Addiction Recovery
- "The Shadow" and how it controls us
- How long it takes a brain to heal from Crystal Meth addiction
- Using psychedelics to addiction
- The Magic Bullet for treating addiction
- The importance of human connection in recovery - Rat Park
- How to deal with a family member who is addicted
Check out Dr. VanGaver's website for more information on the treatments he provides, and how you can get in touch with him.